Over-the-counter (OTC) medicines and vitamins
Keystone First covers over-the-counter (OTC) medicine for all members who are eligible for pharmacy benefits. Members must have a prescription from a health care provider. Some examples of OTC medicines covered by Keystone First are:
- Cough syrup
- Sinus and allergy medicines
- Pain medicine, such as acetaminophen, naproxen and ibuprofen
- Heartburn medicine, such as antacids, famotidine and ranitidine
In some cases, Keystone First covers generic vitamins for members eligible for pharmacy benefits. Members must have a prescription from a health care provider to get vitamins. The following vitamins are covered:
- Generic single and multi-vitamins are covered for members under 21 years of age, when medically necessary.
- Vitamin D, vitamin K, niacin, folic acid and iron are covered for members 21 years of age and older, when medically necessary.
- Generic prenatal vitamins are covered for all pregnant members.
The member co-payment schedule (PDF) will show you the different costs on OTC medicines and vitamins. You may also call Member Services at 1-800-521-6860 to find out what prescription benefits you are eligible for.