For member race, ethnicity and language data
Race, ethnicity and language details are necessary to provide culturally and linguistically appropriate services (CLAS) to our members. The data is collected, stored, protected, and used as allowed by internal policies.
Keystone First collects, stores, and reports data on members' race, ethnicity, and language to:
- Understand the demographics (the data of a population) of the our members
- Measure and report any existing disparities (differences) in healthcare or service
- Address those disparities through appropriate outreach and member initiatives
The plan's internal policies set when we can and can't use race, ethnicity and language data. The policies also describe how members will be notified of privacy protections.
A. Data access control
Access to individual-level race, ethnicity and language data:
- Is regulated by Keystone First information security access controls policies
- Will only be provided to those associates whose jobs require access to this information
- Will be terminated according to Keystone First information security access controls policies
B. Permissible uses of data
Race, ethnicity and language data will be used to:
- Assess healthcare disparities
- Design intervention programs
- Design and direct outreach materials
- Inform health care practitioners and providers about individuals' language needs
- Inform health care practitioners and providers to help design programs to improve health outcomes
C. Impermissible uses of data
Race, ethnicity and language data will not be:
- Used to perform underwriting, rate setting or benefit determinations
- Disclosed to unauthorized users
D. Notification of privacy practices
- Members will be told of Keystone First policies for use and protection of race, ethnicity and language data at the time of direct collection.
- Keystone First may communicate its policies for use and protection of race, ethnicity and language data through its standard forms of communication; e.g., member handbook, member newsletters, provider newsletters, website news and information, etc.