DiabetesDiabetes is a disease that affects how your body breaks down sugar. It causes your body to have too much sugar in the blood. It could also be that you do not have enough insulin, a hormone that helps your body break down the sugar in the food you eat to give you energy.
If you do not have control of your diabetes, it can:
- Cause you to go blind, get kidney disease, and have foot problems
- Make it easier to get infections and/or wounds that will not heal
- Put you at a higher risk of getting heart disease or having a stroke
- Cause you to have nerve damage
- Make you feel tired, thirsty and have to go to the bathroom much more than usual
The care management program will help you:
- Understand the medications you are taking
- Know the importance of the foods you eat
- Know why it is so important for you to test your blood sugar as often as your doctor asks you to
- Understand why exercise and weight control are so important
If you are a member with diabetes, call the Keystone First care management department to sign up for the program. The number is 1-800-573-4100. We want to help you live a healthy life. Call to speak to a care manager today.