Some updated recommendations
- Assess at each prenatal/postnatal visit
Assessment and interventions
- Domestic abuse (screen once per trimester)
Education and counseling
- Healthy weight gain
- Benefit of regular exercise
- Safety and importance of good dental care
- If ≥ 21 years and indicated clinically prior to delivery
HIV counseling and testing
- Screen at 6-8 weeks, 26-28 weeks, and 36 weeks
STD screening (GC, Chlamydia, VDRL)
- Screen at 6-8 weeks, 24-28 weeks, and in 3rd trimester if at high risk
Hemoglobin and hematocrit
- Repeat at 24-28 weeks if appropriate
Gestational diabetes (test earlier if high risk)
- Screen at 24-28 weeks, and 6 weeks postpartum
Offer screening for Down syndrome and neural tube defects at approximately 11-20 weeks.
Screen for short cervix using ultrasound examination at 18-24 weeks.
Elective induction prior to 39 weeks gestation is not recommended.
Folic acid (1.0 mg daily one month prior to conception through 1st trimester)
MQIC clinical practice guidelines/recommendations
- Institute of Medicine healthy weight gain during pregnancy BMI calculator
- Guidelines for Perinatal Care 7th Ed. (2012). American Academy of Pediatrics, and American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.